In honor of a great finish to the regular season, the neighbors are having a garage cookout – it’s too cold to stay outside in the backyard for long – and we thought we’d try a new baked bean recipe to go along with the hot dogs and hamburgers our buddies are serving.
Easy, tasty and we can make it last minute or the day ahead. Day before prep means that the flavors will be more intense on the day of the party.
- 1 - 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 - 15 oz. can pinto beans
- 1 - 15 oz. can northern beans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon mustard powder (Colman's has a great flavor)
- 1 heaping Tablespoon green chilies
- 2-3 strips bacon, cooked, drained & chopped
- Pour off most of the liquid from each of the cans of beans.
- Place all the beans into a large mixing bowl.
- Add brown sugar, mustard powder, and chilies and stir until well mixed.
- Pour mixture into shallow 2 quart baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Stir the mixture and then add the cooked bacon. Stir again.
- Stir every 15 minutes until the beans are tender – about an hour total.
Serve with corn bread and enjoy! 🙂