Damp, chilly days require stick-to-your-ribs, tasty comfort food. Sheila and I like to combine weekend shopping trips with lunch at the local all-comfort-food diner, but sometimes the winter weather keeps us home. During a couple of rough weeks with sleet, snow, and ice pounding the area, we needed a LOT of comfort food, but the roads were dicey and we elected to stay indoors. What did we do? We came up with our own version of the meatloaf we had enjoyed so often downtown. The owner wouldn’t share his secret recipe and laughed when we asked, but we did a bunch of taste-testing and we think we came pretty close. There were no bodies lying on the floor after we ate, so we must have gotten it right. Try it and see for yourself. 🙂
Author: Sheila and Charlie Kerrian
Recipe type: Entree
- 2 pounds ground beef, 90% or 93% lean preferred
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 heaping teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon condensed tomato soup
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup Progresso plain bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon A-1 sauce
- 1 teaspoon Gulden’s spicy brown mustard
- 1 cup condensed tomato soup
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons A-1 sauce
- 2 teaspoons Gulden’s spicy brown mustard
- *1/2 teaspoon Canola oil for pan, not for meatloaf mixture
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Lightly coat sides and bottom of a 9x5 loaf pan with Canola oil to reduce cleanup time.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all meatloaf ingredients together.
- Press meatloaf mixture evenly in loaf pan, slightly mounded in the center, lengthwise
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 425, uncover and bake for 30 minutes more.
- While meatloaf is baking, mix sauce ingredients together in small bowl and set aside.
- Meatloaf will shrink away from the edge of the pan when almost done.
- Remove from oven, spread 1/2 cup of the sauce on the top of the meatloaf and return to oven for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let stand for ten minutes.
- Heat the remaining sauce.
- Slice the meatloaf in half-inch slices and serve with sauce, greens beans, and mashed potatoes.
You can thank us later. 🙂
Please follow and like us: