KNR, p. 304 “Cauliflower Soup”
Cauliflower is in season and since we love it, we bought a bunch and started cooking. See the Roasted Cauliflower recipe here. Sometimes we serve the soup in bread bowls (the photo in the recipe section below shows a pretzel bread bowl) and sometimes in soup bowls with cornbread on the side. Either way, we enjoy it throughout January and February when the cauliflower heads are plentiful in the grocery and totally fresh.
- 4 quart pot
- Large food processor
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup chopped celery, 1/4" pieces
- 1 cup chopped carrots, 1/4" pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 cups roasted cauliflower
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped green onion per serving for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon diced carrots per serving for garnish
- pretzel bread bowls
- Use 4 quart pot.
- Place avocado oil in pot on medium heat.
- Add celery, 1 cup carrots, sea salt, garlic powder, and onion powder to pot.
- Stir frequently and cook on medium heat until celery is translucent - about 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, stir, and bring to boil - about 5-6 minutes.
- Add whole milk and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Add roasted cauliflower and stir, reserving 1-2 florets per serving for garnish.
- Heat through for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour heated mixture into food processor and puree for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
- Pour into bread bowls or soup bowls.
- Garnish with green onion, diced carrots, and cauliflower florets and serve warm.