KNR, p. 209 “The Kerrians’ Famous Guacamole”
2023 update: I posted this recipe before the Eagle’s 2018 SuperBowl win. Five years later, they’re back – in it to win it – and our cousin is rubbing it in. Again. Because our own teams didn’t come close. Again. The recipe still works, though, and we’ll have plenty on hand for the Big Game.
2018: This year’s SuperBowl brings with it a miracle in the family sports rivalry lore. Our favorite cousin’s team made it to the SuperBowl. The Eagles. The team that has been to the SuperBowl twice before, but not won. Sheila and I have to give lots of credit to a team that has come back from some fairly serious injuries to make it all the way to the Big Game. Neither of our teams made it, sad to say.
In honor of an Eagle season that has been hard fought, and because we love our cousin, we came up with a recipe for a snack that everybody loves – guacamole. Try it, and no matter which side you root for, enjoy the game!
- 3 medium avocados - about one and half cups pulp
- 1 medium tomato, diced, seeds removed – about 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup mild green chilies (Hatch)
- 1/2 teaspoon Lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Slice avocados in half, from one end to the other.
- Remove pits.
- Scoop out avocado pulp into medium sized bowl and roughly chop with fork into large chunks.
- Add diced tomato, green chilies, lime juice, and salt.
- Lightly toss together.
Serve with corn chips, taco chips, bagel chips, celery, or anything that scoops it up.
*Update after the 2018 game: The Eagles won and our cousin is yelling a lot. I think he’s happy. lolol
*2023: Fly Eagles, Fly!