Lots of taste testing went into this pie crust. A lighter crust that we use for fruit pies did not stand up to the weight of a meat and veggie pie, but this one stays tender and has great flavor as well.
Pie Crusts for Double Crust Meat Pies
Recipe by Sheila Kerrian
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup butter (16 Tablespoons) cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 6 Tablespoons very cold water
- Egg yolk wash (one yolk and 2 Tablespoons water lightly whisked together)
- Use food processor to briefly pulse together flour, sugar, and sea salt.
- Add cubed butter and pulse together until size of small peas.
- Add water and pulse together until dough forms.
- Remove dough, (no need to chill) divide in half, flour dust work surface and roll out each half until 1/8 inch thick – makes two 11-12”rounds.
- Place one in 9” pie pan and set aside the other (on parchment paper for best results).
- Make chosen filling and spread evenly onto bottom crust.
- Cover filling with top crust and crimp two crusts together to seal in filling.
- After the pie has been created and the two crusts have been crimped together, brush the top and edges with the egg yolk wash before baking.
- Follow pie directions for baking time and temperature, baking until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes for easier slicing.
- Serve while still warm.
Please follow and like us: