Follow Detective Charlie Kerrian's Blog
Our trip to mainland Portugal was a food adventure to be sure. We always ask for, but rarely get, all the special secrets for some of the dishes we try. BUT, a generous chef at a Porto bed & breakfast not far from the train station, shared this wonderful vegetable recipe with us. Sheila replicated it at home, so we know the cook authentically shared her list of ingredients. We came up with the proportions ourselves, but after our usual trial-and-error tasting sessions, it now looks and tastes the same as the original to us. They served it at breakfast alongside the eggs and pastries, but we have enjoyed it at every meal of the day.If you would like to share this article with your friends or post a comment - please click here to visit full story page. →
Portuguese Veggie Dish - Peppers and Zucchini
- about 1/2 cup (1 small) Carrot
- 1/2 cup green Bell Pepper
- 1/2 cup red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 cup yellow (or orange) Bell Pepper
- about 2 cups (1 medium) Zucchini
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil olive oil can be substituted, but the flavor will be quite different
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Oregano
- Wash carrot, peppers, and zucchini.
- Peel carrot, then cut into 3" Julienne strips, about 1/2 cup.
- Remove seeds from peppers, then cut into 3" Julienne strips, about 1/2 cup each of green, red, and yellow peppers.
- Peel zucchini, then cut into 3" Julienne strips, about 2 cups.
- Place all veggies and avocado oil into large saute pan on medium heat.
- Add garlic, sea salt, and onion, and toss with veggies and oil until well coated.
- Cover and lower temperature, and simmer for 5 minutes, then stir.
- Add oregano and toss with veggies.
- Continue to simmer until crisp tender, about another 5 minutes.