KN, p. 96 “Chocolaty Chocolate Banana Muffins”
Sheila tried out a new muffin recipe. I thought she was making cupcakes for dessert because of the mouth-watering chocolate smell in the air, but she said that these were going to be for breakfast instead. There’s less sugar than a cupcake, and they have fruit in them, so that qualifies as a breakfast treat. Works either way for me!
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 jumbo egg (or 2 large eggs)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose unbleached King Arthur flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup Ghirardelli cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 cup Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Set standing mixer at slowest speed.
- Cream oil and sugar.
- Add egg(s) and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add flours, baking powder, and baking soda a little at a time and beat until smooth.
- Add cocoa powder and salt and beat until smooth.
- Add bananas and mix thoroughly.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until blended.
- Divide mix evenly among greased, floured muffin tins (or use baking cup papers)
- Bake 20-25 minutes in center of oven or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
*Photo by Patti Phillips